Who verifies observations and photos?
eButterfly has a growing list of regional butterfly experts from Canada and the United States. When vetting records, experts use the following protocols:
- Determine if the record is within the known range and flight period of the species in that region. In the near future, we hope to have this automatically verified using the location and flight periods that are in the database so that records outside of the known ranges are flagged automatically for review.
- If there is a photo(s), validate the identification if possible.
- If location, date, and photo(s) (if there is one) appear to be correct, then the record is vetted.
- If more information is needed: the expert adds a comment to the record asking the observer for more information or a photo. If the identification was incorrect based on the photo(s) submitted, the expert suggests a corrected identification and the reasons for it.
- If you are interested in joining our vetting team, please contact us at https://ebutterfly.desk.com/customer/portal/emails/new